Fine Tuning the Church

I have been avoiding finishing the castle complex for a number of reasons. A real one was pain. Going up and down the stairs was too much. The more immature reason was simply that I had left all the hard stuff, the annoying stuff and the I don’t wanna do it stuff and that was all that was left. Soldier on, though.

I had to finish the roof of the cathedral. It was supposed to be rolled lead, and in the cathedral section, you can see that I had settled for hammered aluminum paint. It worked well on the choir and the cloisters. On the roof, though, it looked like paint on wood. I had to do something different. I couldn’t just add a number of layers of the aluminum paint as it was on an angle and the spray would get on everything. After visits to hobby shops and much thinking, I was at Home Depot’s paint department waiting for some house paint to be shaken up and saw Martha Stewarts froo froo paints. There was a metallic paint that looked exactly the right shade. Yay. So I painted the roof with three coats of gripper. Then I painted the lead colored paint with a foam brush in long strokes that literally went from top to bottom. Perfect? No. Better? Tons. I added strips where the rolled lead would be seamed and that was so much better.

Now, every church needs gargoyles. Actually, in my research I found that there were two kinds. Gargoyles are the actual spouts to gutters. Grotesques are the ones that just stand there. Every time I made one it looked hideous and not the right kind of hideous. Finally, on one of my rolled lead quests to the hobby store that was really mostly a guy’s planes, trains and automobiles store where I was the only woman for miles, I found a great set of sculpting tools, which helped considerably. The first one I was even mildly successful with was way too big, kind of like a ten-foot tall gargoyle. The second was better. The third one was reasonable. I wanted people to notice them, but not be distracted by them. I decided to combine current characters with more traditional ones.

The gutters I tried a hundred different ways to get to work. I made a huge wad of polymer clay in basic gray for all of the roof adornments so everything would be the same color, but used a considerable amount on this. Nothing worked that wasn’t all wonky. Finally, at the same hobby store, I found half round gray plastic tubing. I have no idea what they use it for, but it was exactly the right shade. With some other clay extruded in a triangle shape to hold it as a base to the structure, it worked great. Around this time I discovered a new glue by the E6000 people which was like a cross between the silicone tendencies of E6000, the holding power of super glue and the immediacy of contact cement. Yes, since all this roof stuff was hanging out there, it helped considerably.  A little bit of experimentation and the supports were made as well.